It is no secret that chocolate is poisonous for our dogs. Chocolate has caused countless dog poisoning and other health issues for our beloved fur babies. As pet owners, this is something we want to avoid at all costs.

But have you ever stopped and asked yourself, why exactly is chocolate bad for dogs? What makes this sweet treat toxic to our furry little friends?

The first thing you need to know is that chocolate contains Theobromine. This is the component that is toxic to dogs. Dogs process the theobromine more slowly, and it builds up in their system over time.

Chocolate poisoning will not show symptoms immediately. Early-onset symptoms include vomiting and diarrhea. However, when consumed in large amounts, theobromine can cause irregular heartbeat, seizures, muscle tremors, internal bleeding, or worse, a heart attack.

If your dog is suddenly severely hyperactive after consuming chocolate, watch out for the signs and symptoms mentioned above. It is best to give your veterinarian a call right away.

You should also remember that each type of chocolate has different levels of toxicity. The darker the chocolate, the higher the theobromine levels. For instance, cooking chocolate, dark chocolate, and cocoa contain the highest levels of theobromine.

On the other hand, milk and white chocolate have the lowest theobromine levels. It only takes less than an ounce of dark chocolate to poison a 44-pound dog.

It is important to take precautionary measures to make sure your dog won’t be able to eat any chocolate accidentally. Keep all of your sweets out of your dog’s reach. If you have a particularly smart dog who knows how to climb counters, it is best to keep your sweets in a child-proof container.

If your dog accidentally consumed chocolate – no matter how big or small the amount, we highly advise you to give your vet a call immediately. Remember that the chocolate poisoning symptoms are not often seen with naked eyes, it takes some examination by your vet to determine whether or not your dog is in danger.

Leave a Reply