You probably already know the answer to the question “can dog eat chocolate”? By now, it’s pretty much common knowledge that chocolate is harmful to our dog’s health.

In fact, these delightful treats are not-so-delightful for our furry little friends… and can even be poisonous.

This is why we highly recommend keeping chocolates away from your furbabies.

But there’s a little more to it than that. So let’s take a closer look at the question…

Can Dogs Eat Chocolate?

There are different types of chocolate and the hazards of your dog eating one depend on the type of chocolate and the amount they consumed. As a general rule, any cocoa product is a huge no-no for our pets.

Why is Chocolate Poisonous to our Dogs?

Well, it contains a toxic component known as theobromine which we humans can easily metabolize. However, our dog’s process this toxic component slowly, thus building it up to toxic levels in their system.

If your dog accidentally eats chocolate, he or she will have an upset stomach. You will notice symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea, in which case we highly recommend bringing them to your vet.

If your dog accidentally eats a large amount of chocolate, the buildup of theobromine in its system can cause much worse symptoms. These symptoms can include hyperactivity, seizures, irregular heartbeat, tremors, internal bleeding, heart attack.

Do not wait for these symptoms to show if you know your dog has eaten large amounts of chocolate. Waiting can cause more problems to your dog’s internal health – call your veterinarian immediately, or bring your dog to the nearest vet.

As previously mentioned, there are different types of chocolate. And each type contains different theobromine levels. For instance, cooking/baking chocolate, dark chocolate, and pure cocoa contain the highest levels of theobromine. On the other hand, milk and white chocolate have a lower theobromine content.

It only takes a small amount of chocolate with high theobromine content to poison a dog. (And keep in mind that chocolates are especially more dangerous to small dogs than larger dogs.)

In fact, less than an ounce of dark chocolate is enough to poison a 44-pound dog. So, if you are thinking of giving chocolates as treats for your dogs, skip it and opt for healthier treats instead!

Learn More About What Human Foods Are Healthy or Harmful for Dogs

This article is part of our special series of articles about “What Human Foods Can Dogs Eat?”

Please check out other articles in the series including: Can Dogs Eat Cinnamon?

Leave a Reply