Deer are naturally skittish animals. And, usually, when they hear people and their dogs trekking through the woods, they dash off before we can glimpse them.
Well, if you think you’ve noticed deer being even more skittish around our doggos recently, there’s good reason. And is has to do with the hottest trend in dog food.
The Hot, Healthy Trend in Dog Food
When we think about giving our dogs a healthy meal, we often think of giving them pork meat and vegetables. But have you ever thought about Venison?
For those of you who are thinking whether or not venison is safe for dogs, yes, it is. In fact, it is actually better than beef. This is because venison contains less cholesterol and fat – which lowers the chances of your dog getting pancreatitis.
It also lowers the risk of obesity in dogs. Additionally, it also provides a lot of health benefits for our furry little friends such as vitamin B, different minerals such as zinc, iron and phosphorous.
What Is Venison?
Venison comes from different animals such as deer, elk, moose, antelope, caribou, and pronghorn. However, most commercial pet food uses deer. You will also find what type of venison meat is offered for sale on the label of each dog food.
Veterinarians prefer venison dog food for those dogs who have food sensitivities and allergies to other types of meat. It also helps with different dog health issues such as skin irritations and allergies.
You can always use venison meat when cooking homemade dog food, or if your dog is on a raw meat diet – as long as you give your vet a call beforehand. As always, you can always opt for packaged commercial dog food. You can also ask your vet first if they have a specific brand in mind that will be better for your pooches.
Benefits of Venison for Dogs
Aside from being low in fat and cholesterol, venison also offers more for our pets. It is better for our dog?s holistic heart health. It is actually the second healthiest meat for a dog?s heart – the first is fish.
To be more specific, venison only contains 159 calories per 100-grams portion, and only 3.3 of those calories are from fat. It also contains more iron than any other type of meat which is highly beneficial for dogs who are low in blood.
Does Venison Have A Negative Impact On Your Dog’s Health?
With all that said, it is still a wonder for some whether or not venison has negative impacts on their dog?s health. This is understandable, after all, we only want the best for our fur babies.
One of the potential drawbacks of venison meat happens when it is served raw. Serving raw food to dogs can lead to parasites in their stomach. This is why vets always advice to cook meat thoroughly before giving them to our dogs. Unless your vet permits you to put your dog on a raw food diet, it is best to stick with cooked and packaged food.
Too much protein can also put some produce negative results for those dogs who have previously suffered from diet and food-related problems. Most of the time, too much protein and meat is not good for senior dogs who have suffered from kidney disease.
Here’s a comparison of some of the top venison dog food options:
Here’s some more detailed information about the top venison dog food choices for our furry little friends…
- Meat First
- Limited Ingredient Formula
- Made in USA
- Single Protein Source
Pet owners all over the world are getting the Zignature Venison Formula Dog Food for a reason. It is made from the best quality ingredients that are good for your dogs.
This dog food also contains limited ingredients to ensure that your dogs are only getting what they need for a healthy and well-balanced diet. It is hypo-allergenic which is great for dogs who have food allergies and low glycemic.
It also contains essential vital supplements such as antioxidants, essential fatty acids and of course, a complete spectrum of vitamins and minerals. This dog food is a better alternative than raw venison meat which can be expensive and elusive in some areas.
Most pet owners who have tried it with their dogs only have the best to say. Give it a try here.
- HIGH PROTEIN & NUTRIENT DENSE: Our novel Venison air-dried dog food delivers Peak Nutrition without Compromise, mirroring your dog’s cravings for a natural, whole-prey diet: featuring 96% real meat, organs, and New Zealand green mussels Our gentle air-drying process locks in the nutrition and taste of our raw ingredients and provides the safe convenience of dry dog foods – simply scoop and serve
- GRAIN-FREE, LOW CARB & LIMITED INGREDIENT DIET: Our L I D premium dog food recipes are made without unnecessary carbohydrates or fillers Other brands include low quality cheap fillers such as grain, potato or peas that can be associated with sensitive stomach, obesity, food allergy, and other health concerns
- 10% HEALTHY SUPERFOODS: Z-Boost superfood inclusions deliver an all-natural nutrition boost that helps to promote your dog’s health Highly palatable and delicious cold-washed green tripe is a natural source of enzymes and probiotics for improved digestion New Zealand Green Mussels contain chondroitin, glucosamine, and omega-3 for joint health and to help with sensitive & dry skin and maintain a healthy coat Organic Kelp is a natural source of minerals and antioxidants known to improve metabolism, reduce inflammation and protect the heart and brain
- ALL LIFE STAGES & ALL BREEDS: Formulated for puppy, adult, and senior dogs – ZIWI’s holistic approach is for all life stages, focused on delivering peak nutrition for your dog’s health and wellbeing Perfectly fed as a complete meal or topper for a nutritional boost; optimized for small, medium, and large dog breeds
- ETHICAL & SUSTAINABLE NEW ZEALAND INGREDIENTS: 100% free-range, grass-fed meats, and wild-caught seafoods, all sourced from New Zealand farms and pristine oceans Raised without added hormones, antibiotics, or growth promotants, these all-natural ingredients provide a taste of life in New Zealand
The next must-try on this list is the Ziwi Peak Air-Dried Dog Food Recipe. They offer different types of meat such as beef, chicken, and lamb, but we highly recommend their venison option.
This dog food is made from 98% fresh meat, organs, bones and green mussels. All of the ingredients are from New Zealand, and their green mussels is a great source of chondroitin and glucosamine which is great for dog?s joint health.
It also doesn?t include any other ingredients such as rice, fillers, sugars, preservatives, soy, corn, and glycerins. The venison meat is preserved naturally without chemicals, all of it is air-dried which helps eliminate pathogenic bacteria.
The modern preservation process also help protect the nutrients in each ingredient naturally. One of the things we love about this is all the animals lived a free-range life and are sourced from ethical farms only. All of them are grass-fed only and are completely human grade.
It is one of the most recommended dog food in the market. Check it out here.
This Grain-Free Venison Dog Food from Purevita is perfect for dogs of all ages. From puppies to senior dogs, this wholesome dog food offers only the best ingredients for your dog?s best health.
It contains no grains, but different assortment of legumes which contains nutritional content. These legumes include red and greed lentils, and garbanzo beans and other fruits filled with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
This dog food is also good for those who have health issues such as allergies, skin itching, and more. Dogs love the taste of this food, too, and it is one of the most reasonable-priced dog food. Check it out here.
- 23.5-Pounds Of Grain Free Dry Dog Food - There'S An Appetite For Adventure In Every Dog, Which Is Why We Created Grain Free Venison Recipe! Naturally Lean Venison Is The First Ingredient, So You Know Your Pet Is Getting Healthy Levels Of Animal Protein In Every Delicious Bite
- WHOLE FOOD Ingredients From Traceable & Sustainable Sources ALL WITHOUT Corn, Wheat, Filler, Artificial Flavors, Colors, Preservatives
- Proprietary blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals MORE THAN any brand of dog food including ORGANIC APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, PURE COCONUT OIL & TURMERIC
- FAMILY-OWNED for 3 generations - Crafted in SMALL BATCHES & Proudly Made in the USA
- NEVER had a product recall
Another great grain-free dog food to try is this one from Health Extension. It is made from high-quality whole food ingredients without any preservatives, artificial flavors and colors, fillers and grains to ensure that your dog is getting only the best holistic food.
The mix of ingredients provide great nutritional value to your furbabies. It is filled with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals for a better, healthier dog.
Dogs love it, and dog owners are raving about this dog food, too. Health Extension only creates small batches to ensure the quality. Check it out here.
- For Pet Type(s): Dogs
- Completely Natural
- Appropriate for all ages and breeds
If you are looking for another great dried dog food, Grandma Lucy?s Grain-Free Freeze Dried Dog Food is another must-try. All of the ingredients are human-grade and are proudly made in the US.
Each pack doesn?t contain any by-products, preservatives, antibiotics and hormones to ensure holistic health for your pet. It is also easy to prepare for those who have a busy schedule. It is recommended for dogs of all ages and has helped dogs who suffers from different health issues such as kidney failure, indigestion, malnutrition and more. Check it out here.
That is it for our list of great venison dog food. Hopefully, you found this article helpful. Feel free to send us any questions and suggestions you have.