When you are dieting, people always suggest that you should eat brown rice instead of white rice.
Brown rice has more nutrients than white rice, but both can be good for you if you eat a healthy diet. Brown rice may be able to help improve blood sugar levels and the health of your body.
But does the same hold true for dogs? Is brown rice good for them or something that should be avoided?
A common question for many dog owners is, “Can dogs eat brown rice?”
In this article, you’ll learn if brown rice is good for dogs or not. And you’ll also learn about the potential health benefits or harmful effects on our dogs.
Can Dogs Eat Brown Rice?
The short answer is yes. Dogs can eat brown rice. Brown rice is definitely a good food choice for dogs (so long as you take the precautions mentioned below).
Many commercial dog foods include brown rice and other grains as ingredients. The reason for that is that brown rice is nutritious. Let’s explore their benefits below.
How is Brown Rice Beneficial for Dogs?
Brown rice is rich in many minerals and vitamins. It is rich in Vitamin B, Carbohydrates, Potassium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Manganese, Fiber, Protein, Calcium, and Iron.
So how do each of these vitamins and minerals aid dogs specifically? We will list them here:
- Vitamin B is suitable for aiding metabolism and maintaining the dog’s nervous system.
- Carbohydrates in brown rice are healthy when consumed in small amounts because they provide fast energy for your dogs.
- Potassium can keep your dog’s bones strong and healthy. This makes brown rice a good food for older dogs.
- Mineral phosphorus can build healthier bones.
- Magnesium regulates metabolism. It also helps in a dog’s neurotransmission. Brown rice also contains high amounts of this.
- Manganese is a mineral that promotes metabolic functioning and good bone health.
- Fiber helps in solving a dog’s digestive problems. Foods rich in fiber, such as brown rice, can help against bowel movement problems. Brown rice is an excellent source of fiber.
- Protein is an essential nutrient that can contribute to muscle development and tissue repair.
- Calcium helps develop bones and teeth. Additionally, they can be a good source of calcium for lactose-intolerant dogs.
- Iron is a mineral that helps carry in the hemoglobin of red blood cells. Brown rice also contains high amounts of iron.
However, not all the time or not all parts of brown rice are healthy and good.
Precautions Against Feeding Brown Rice to Your Dog
Although carbohydrates are the building blocks of all other nutrients, too many carbohydrates can cause the onset of certain conditions such as diabetes. And brown rice, as well as other rice, is high in carbs.
Brown rice can be healthy for dogs in small amounts. However, it is important to understand that dogs cannot handle carbs as well as humans do. Excessive carbohydrates can lead to conditions such as obesity, heart disease, and diabetes.
Also, some dogs may be allergic to brown rice. So it is best to feed them small amounts first and check their reaction.
Brown rice is also not recommended for dogs who have gastrointestinal issues.
So it is best to feed brown rice in moderation rather than overfeed them. Overfeeding brown rice to dogs can cause more harm than good.
Learn More About What Human Foods Are Healthy or Harmful for Dogs
This article is a part of our special series of articles about “What Human Foods Can Dogs Eat?”
In the next article, we take a look at a favorite treat for many kids and if it is safe for dogs in “Can Dogs Eat Animal Crackers?”